Introduction to: Practical Approaches to Concussion Management
Mild TBI (formerly known as Concussion) is a major issue affecting millions of people every year. Owing to the insidious nature of this condition, often it can mask a host of complications, including headache, vestibular dysfunction, visual issues and so on. This seminar discusses some of the most common issues seen post-concussion, including: dizziness, visual impairment, headaches and community re-integration; and teaches assessment and treatment strategies that can be used for management of this patient in the rehab setting, outpatient, and in home care. Hands-on labs and tools for clinic use ensure that this course is immediately applicable to the setting you are working in, and changes to your practice can be made form the very next day!
This continuing education activity is delivered live (either in-person or virtually), or may also be taken as a self-paced webinar.
Outline of course
07:45- 0800: Registration
08:00- 09:15: Introduction to TBI
09:30-10:45: Vestibular Impairment
10:45- 11:15: Cervical Impairment
12:00- 1:15: Vision Impairment
2:15-3:15: Community Re-integration
- Identify symptoms and differentiate common causes of Concussion/Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Differentiate impairments and performance areas that are negatively affected by TBI
- Competently perform basic vestibular evaluation and demonstrate intervention strategies
- Competently perform basic visual evaluation and demonstrate intervention strategies
- Evaluate and differentiate types of headache and intervention strategies
- Demonstrate how to implement a comprehensive interdisciplinary team approach that positively affects recovery within an appropriate time frame
- Demonstrate understanding of the importance of advocacy to improve occupational engagement in the TBI population
- Apply knowledge of community resources and tools to increase independence post-mTBI
What makes this course different?
ARC Seminars sets itself apart from the competition in many ways!
- Pre-reading: In order to limit the amount of time spent on didactic teaching, ARC Seminars will provide you with a thorough pre-reading list prior to participation in the course. You can then get the most out of the course by engaging in hands on techniques and by asking us specific, case based problems to solve!
- Most courses are aimed at the widest audience possible, in order to get as many participants as possible. While that can be a great way of getting professionals from different fields together, it is not always conducive to working through specific problems, and can make the information very vague, theoretical, and general. ARC Seminars are specific to the field of rehabilitation, and we have many years of experience in treating and developing procedures for treatment in rehabilitation facilities.
- We provide guidance and support for setting up your own program! ARC Seminars not only provide education and guidance within the seminar to set up your own program, but we will also provide you with follow up guidance and support after the seminar to ensure that your program is successful!
- ARC Seminars uses the most up to date and evidence based techniques to ensure your participation in the course is translated to the most learning and carryover possible!
- Materials: You will be provided with a comprehensive manual of all the presentation slides, exclusive access to our Clinic Tools, Cheat Sheets, and Community Resources.
John Joseph Kardine Jr., OTR/L is an Occupational Therapist specialized in program management and treatment of cognitive and visual impairment from acquired brain injury. Joe is intent on progress growth in leadership as a clinical mentor, rehabilitation administration and has an interest in business management.
Joe received his Master’s in Occupation Therapy from Saint Francis University in 2014. He is LSVT certified and is an acquired brain injury specialist. Joe has lectured at continuing education conferences on acquired brain injuries and cognitive rehabilitation. His areas of focus including treating those with vision and cognitive deficits as well as neurologic rehabilitation.
Disclosures: Financial- Joe is reimbursed as a presenter by ARC Seminars. Non-financial- Joe has no relevant non-financial disclosures.
Who should attend?
- Therapy Directors
- Rehab Physicians
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Speech and Language Pathologists
- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Practice Nurses
- Home Health Aides
Photo and Video Examples
Really appreciated migraine section!
I will exercise these skills as a SLP and educated staff and families on best practices for TBI/Concussion Management. Make more SLP courses please !!- Jennie F., SLP I will be able to use this whenever I have a concussion/TBI patient. Really appreciated migraine section- I did not know much about that! - Don A., OT
I LOVE the laminated handouts!
I will definitely incorporate visual screening, and be able to differentiate headaches. Also, I LOVE the laminated handouts! - Sam A., PT Topic was very relevant- migraines/vestibular- will be able to integrate it into my daily practice. - Peggy F., PT Presenter did a great job!- Renee R., PTA
Praise for Practical Approaches to Concussion Management
"...This was a great course and very informative. The instructor is extremely knowledgeable and concise...This topic was very relevant to my practice in the rehab setting. I will be able to implement knowledge and skills gained in the areas of screenings and tx techniques..."- N.L.- SLP "...It was nice that you brought in equipment for us to try out and experience..." C.L.- SLP "...will help me incorporate evaluation, screening, and aid in implementing/setting up TBI protocol/mild concussion..." -R.M.-OTRL "really appreciated the migraine section!" D.A. -OTRL
Fantastic course! Excellent instructor, detailed and applicable material, helpful hands-on practice. 5 stars! S.G.- PT
Very relevant! I will use all the techniques learned today, and specifically enjoy all the educational resources given! Thx!
Follow Up and Online Support
After you have attended the seminar, you will have access to an online community of other therapists and professionals for support and guidance in the development of your own, in-house program. The presenters at ARC Seminars will always be available to answer your questions and provide help with your work!
You also have the option to engage the presenters from ARC Seminars to come out to your facility and advise on your program, help you ‘iron out’ any of the problem areas, and help integrate your program with the rest of your staff. Contact us here to arrange an on-site consultation!
This course is intended to prepare the learner for the official Certified Brain Injury Specialist (CBIS) Exam.
Financial- Joe Kardine is compensated as an independent contractor by ARC Seminars. He also works for the Jefferson Hospital system in Philadelphia, PA.
Non-financial- Joe has no non-financial conflicts of interest, or relevant disclosures.
We are committed to accessibility of education for all our learners, and have made every effort to make sure that all aspects of our courses are considered in order to ensure accessibility to all. However, if you require special accommodations, please contact Emily Cahalan at firstname.lastname@example.org at least 7 days prior to course commencement, to ensure that your requirements are met.
Continuing Education Units/Professional Development Units
This seminar contains intermediate content.
Speech and Language Pathologists: ARC Seminars is an ASHA Approved Provider of Continuing Education.
Occupational Therapists: ARC Seminars is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development, #0000087. This course is offered for 0.6 AOTA CEUs, approval #00002329
Physical Therapists: This program has been approved by the APTA Kentucky, A Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association, for 6 Category 1 contact hour(s). Expiration Date: 02/18/2023. Approval Number: CS110-2021-APTAKY. Most other states will accept continuing education offerings that are approved by the APTA.
ARC Seminars is an California Board of Physical Therapy Approved Provider of Continuing Education.
Please contact us at email@example.com for your specific state requirements.
In order to complete this course and receive continuing education units, the participant must:
- Pay registration fee
- Sign in and out on the course days on the attendee log
- Keep camera on at all times (if attending virtually)
- Engage in and complete the required labs and demonstrate competency
- Complete post-course evaluation and quiz
We at ARC Seminars are committed to bringing you the very best experience possible.
If you wish to get a refund, or in the unlikely event of a cancellation, please review our Refunds & Cancellation policy.
If you wish to lodge a complaint, please review our Complaint and Grievance policy here, and at any time feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.