Evidence Based Practice for the Everyday Clinician – Course Description:
Evidence based practice is the benchmark for clinicians – but how well do we actually understand evidence and how to apply it to practice? Every clinician knows how important a base of evidence is to thoughtful and effective interventions. However, we do not always feel confident in how to find the best evidence to support our intervention, and how to critically consume the literature. This class will empower you with the tools and skills to ensure your therapeutic interventions are effective, thoughtful, and grounded in all the best, most recent evidence!
After taking this course- you will have:
– Learned how to find the most relevant evidence
– Be able to appraise and critically consume evidence
– Know how to formulate your own questions and find evidence to support or refute practice
– Understand variables, data, and analyses
– Have a blueprint as to how to start and manage your own research
– Appreciate the true ‘power’ of EBP!
What will you learn? By the completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Examine and appraise the clinical translation value of published information
- Identify and formulate a clinical problem that is important to you – and act on it
- Describe the difference between statistical and clinical significance
Introduction (10 minutes) Importance of this area of practice, review of commonly held beliefs
Section 1 (25 minutes) Appraising Evidence | Forming Research Questions
Section 2 (50 minutes) Understanding Variables, Data, and Analyses
Section 3 (35 minutes) Statistical vs. Clinical Significance
Section 4 (45 minutes) Clinical Takeways
Conclusion (15 minutes) Review of the course outline References
ARC Seminars sets itself apart from the competition in many ways!
- ARC Seminars is run by a group of practicing clinicians- so we have been where you are! This brain injury course is taught by an SLP experienced and working in this field everyday.
- Most courses are aimed at the widest audience possible, in order to get as many participants as possible. While that can be a great way of getting professionals from different fields together, it is not always conducive to working through specific problems, and can make the information very vague, theoretical, and general. ARC Seminars are specific to the field of rehabilitation, and we have many years of experience in treating and developing procedures for treatment in rehabilitation settings.
- We provide guidance and support for setting up your own program! ARC Seminars not only provide education and guidance within the seminar to set up your own program, but we will also provide you with follow up guidance and support after the seminar to ensure that your program is successful!
- ARC Seminars uses the most up to date and evidence based techniques to ensure your participation in the course is translated to the most learning and carryover possible!
- Materials: You will be provided with a comprehensive manual of all the presentation slides, exclusive access to specially developed tools and resources related to the brain injury course content, and ongoing support and guidance!
Meet your presenter, Gabi!
Gabriela Constantinescu, PhD, R.SLP, S-LP(C) Gabi is an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Communication Sciences and Disorders Department at the University of Alberta and CXO for True Angle. She is also an Affiliate of the Institute for Reconstructive Sciences in Medicine (iRSM). Gabi started off as a clinician at iRSM (Institute for Reconstructive Sciences in Medicine), where she amassed over a decade of experience assessing and treating speech, voice, resonance, and swallowing difficulties in patients with head and neck cancer. Gabi then went on to obtain her PhD, where her research directly influenced the design and development of a mobile system for swallowing exercise called Mobili-T (now a product of True Angle). Gabi’s research with the company brought her the 2020 Michael Donovan NFOSD Innovation Award at the Dysphagia Research Society conference and the 2020 ACSLPA Honour of the College award.
In her academic career, Gabi provided consulting for graduate students’ study designs and analyses in the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine Research Center, co-instructed CSD 598-Directed Individual Reading and Research, and developed and taught REHAB 500-Conducting Rehabilitation Research. She has supervised and mentored several students in their capstone and masters theses.
If you have any questions for Gabi, please contact her directly at firstname.lastname@example.org; FAO- Gabi Constantinescu Disclosures: Financial- Gabi is reimbursed as a presenter by ARC Seminars. Non-financial- Gabi has no relevant non-financial disclosures.
Who should attend?
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Rehab Directors
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Occupational Therapists
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Nurse Practitioners
Client and Student Testimonials
We at ARC Seminars have many years of experience teaching and passing on our expertise to students, with excellent results. We believe that supporting the student at all levels of learning: hands-on and kinesthetic learning, pre-reading for a complete understanding of didactic teaching, follow-up support and materials, and program development for carryover of your new skills in the working environment.
Evidence Based Practice for the Everyday Clinician – Course Follow-Up/Online Support
After you have attended the seminar, you will have access to an online community of other therapists and professionals for support and guidance. The presenters at ARC Seminars will always be available to answer your questions and provide help with your work! Join the ‘ARC Seminars Group‘ on Facebook to connect with like-minded therapists and nurses, troubleshoot ideas, and discuss clinical situations!
This course is intended to prepare the learner to understand and provide appropriate behavioral interventions to those post Acquired Brain Injury. Financial- Gabriela Constantinescu is compensated as an instructor by ARC Seminars. Non-financial- Gabriela Constantinescu has no non-financial conflicts of interest, or relevant disclosures.
We are committed to accessibility of education for all our learners, and have made every effort to make sure that all aspects of our courses are considered in order to ensure accessibility to all. However, if you require special accommodations, please contact Emily Cahalan at email@example.com at least 7 days prior to course commencement, to ensure that your requirements are met.
Continuing Education Units/Professional Development Units
This seminar contains introductory content. Instructional method is self-directed/virtual online study; with interactive and post course live presenter follow up. Speech and Language Pathologists: ARC Seminars is an ASHA Approved Provider of Continuing Education. This course has been approved for 0.3 ASHA CEUs, Introductory level.
Occupational Therapists: ARC Seminars is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development, #000087. This course is offered for 0.3 AOTA CEUs, approval #0004599, (3.0 contact hours). This course contains content classified under both Occupational Therapy Process and Domain of OT. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Physical Therapists: This program has been approved by the APTA Kentucky, A Chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association, for 3 Category 1 contact hour(s). Expiration Date: 02/18/2023. Approval Number: CS110-2021-APTAKY. Most other state boards of physical therapy will accept continuing education offerings that are approved by the APTA.
ARC Seminars is an California Board of Physical Therapy Approved Provider of Continuing Education. This course has been approved by the New Jersey Board of Physical Therapy Examiners; the Pennsylvania Board of Physical Therapy Examiners; the Delaware Board of Physical Therapy Examiners; and the Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiners. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for your specific state requirements.
Evidence Based Practice for the Everyday Clinician – Course Completion Requirements
In order to complete this course and receive continuing education units, the participant must:
- Pay registration fee
- Complete over 90% of video tutorials
- Complete post-course competency evaluation
We at ARC Seminars are committed to bringing you the very best experience possible. If you wish to get a refund, or in the unlikely event of a cancellation, please review our Refunds & Cancellation policy. If you wish to lodge a complaint, please review our Complaint and Grievance policy here, and at any time feel free to contact us at email@example.com.